Tuesday, January 6, 2015

MAXWELL DEMON!



Download: Maxwell Demon - Demo
(youtube at the bottom of the post)

For SBDNL's inaugural post I've chosen the incredible 2002 demo from Lennox, CA's Maxwell Demon. I met Ray from MD when I was working at Barnes and Noble.  He was dating a coworker of mine and so came in occasionally and we got to talking a bit when I noticed him wearing a Germs pin.  I got a chance to play a show with MD a couple weeks ago at the Otik Records holiday show at Saint Rocke in Hermosa Beach.  They were great, let's hope they keep it up!

From Ray:
"Maxwell Demon is

Raymond Gurrola-Guitar/Vocals
Martin Avelar-Drums
Mike Ocon-Bass/Vocals
Kevin Ocon-Guitar/Vocals

Maxwell Demon began in a garage in Lennox, Ca. Martin's grandma's house actually, in 2001. But we have all know each other since our Hawthorne High School days. Our name was originally "Corpse Pose", after an Unwound song. Our first proper show as "Maxwell Demon" was in May of 2002. We played a ton of backyard/house parties in Inglewood, Lennox, and Compton. Basically anywhere that would have us play. Most of the bands we played with at the time were either metal or crusty punk. Our style of music never fit in, but somehow we gained a small local following of friends and friends of friends. When people asked us what our style of music we played, we always responded, "LAX No-Core".
Maxwell Demon is heavily influenced by the late 70's and early 80's punk and underground scene in Los Angeles, D.C. hardcore, and New York noise (no wave), as well as really jangly indie pop. 
We did some demos on 4-track in fall of 2002 in my bedroom, but they sounded like shit. Our first "proper" demo session was recorded in San Pedro at Sovereign Studios by a guy named Mario D. Our friends Apathetic Youth recorded their demo there and I didn't have a clue as to where else to get recorded. The studio was off of 6th and Gaffey? A couple blocks from Sacred Grounds. It was in an old brick building on the second floor. The studio was two small rooms. A control room and and the live room. All the tracks were recorded live with vocal overdubs. Sadly, I was listening to a ton of Joy Division at the time and my vocals reflect that. Don't ask me why I thought that sounded cool. 
Some Maxwell Demon fun facts!

I think you pretty much introduced us to the south bay beach city scene. I remember yr blue mohawk from yr days at B&N and gave you our demo. You asked me if you could give Sean Johnson one of our sings to put on the South Bay Comp. But I guess that fell through.

I remember one of our first shows opening for The Fixtures and Two Minute Hate at Getronix studios in Gardena. Our bass player at the time, Martiza, twisted her ankle and had to play the show sitting down with her ankle elevated.

Maxwell Demon is named after the Ziggy Stardust character in the film "Velvet Goldmine".

We covered "This Ain't No Picnic" by the Minutemen at Sacred Grounds. Little did we know that a friend of mine brought George Hurley to the show! I don't know if he heard us play it!!!

Martin worked at a Hollywood Wood video. He couldn't get the nite off to play a show at house party in Redondo Beach.I think it was in a living room,(Goggle played too I think?). So I had to pick him up from work, he played the show, then he asked me to take him back to work so he could close down the store! WTF???"



 Enjoy the demo with the mega link at the top of the post or stream it below, and keep checking back, I've got a great bunch of posts coming up!

No comments:

Post a Comment